Preparing and storing your Lynnwood home for extended vacations
The idea of escaping the daily grind to explore new places and cultures or simply to unwind is incredibly appealing. Perhaps you will even discover a new version of yourself along the way. However, the joy of an extended vacation can quickly become a nightmare if you return to find your home in disarray. Preparing and storing your Lynnwood home for extended vacations might be tricky whether you live in a cozy apartment or a sprawling house in Lynnwood. Hence, it’s crucial to organize and store your belongings adequately. To ensure it remains safe and intact during your absence, consider a few pieces of advice from the storage units Lynnwood WA experts. Let your extended holiday begin!
Initial preparations before leaving
Before you set off, inform a trusted neighbor or friend about your travel plans. This person can monitor your property, collect your mail, and notify you if anything seems amiss. Another essential step is to pause or redirect mail and package deliveries or arrange for someone to manage them. Overflowing mailboxes clearly indicate an empty home, making it a burglar target.
Timers can be set up to turn lights on and off at specific times, creating the illusion that someone is home. This is a simple yet effective way to deter potential intruders. Finally, ensure all windows, doors, and other entry points are securely locked. Consider installing additional locks or a security system for added peace of mind.
Managing utilities and electronics when storing your Lynnwood home
When preparing your Lynnwood home for an extended vacation, managing utilities and electronics is a crucial step that shouldn’t be overlooked. This involves more than just saving on utility bills; it’s about ensuring the safety and efficiency of your home in your absence:
- Unplug Non-Essential Electronics to Prevent Potential Damage and Save Energy: Unplug all non-essential electronics like TVs, computers, and kitchen appliances. This not only saves energy but also minimizes the risk of electrical fires.
- Adjust the Thermostat: Adjust your thermostat to a safe but energy-efficient temperature. This prevents pipes from freezing in winter, and in summer, it avoids unnecessary cooling costs.
- Turn Off the Main Water Valve: To prevent potential leaks or flooding, turn off the main water valve. This simple step can save you from a lot of headaches later on.
- Check All Smoke Detectors: Ensure all smoke detectors are functional and have fresh batteries. This is crucial for the safety of your home, especially when you’re not there to monitor it.
Therefore, properly handling your utilities and electronic devices can prevent potential hazards and damages, ensuring your home remains in top condition while you’re away.
Storing belongings and renting your home while away
You probably have important documents, papers, and belongings in your home. Therefore, catalog and photograph them, if possible. This will be useful for insurance purposes and your peace of mind. If you plan to rent your home while away, you can opt for short-term storage Seattle services for personal items.
Moreover, remove personal photos and provide a basic home guide for your guests. This makes their stay more comfortable and your home less personal. Finally, if you feel none will work, implement a home security system and review your rental insurance coverage to ensure you’re adequately protected.
Enhanced security measures for your Lynnwood home
Apart from managing belongings while you travel, consider implementing these enhanced security measures to ensure the safety of your Lynnwood home:
- Smart Home Security Systems: Install a smart home security system that allows remote monitoring. These systems often include cameras and door and window sensors and can alert you to any unusual activity in real time through your smartphone.
- Motion-Detector Lights: Set up motion-detector lights around your property. These lights can deter potential intruders by illuminating them if they approach your home.
- Reinforced Locks: Upgrade your door locks to high-security models. Deadbolts and smart locks can provide an extra layer of security.
- Neighborhood Watch Involvement: Inform your local neighborhood watch about your absence. They can provide extra eyes on your property and report any suspicious activity.
- Timed Indoor Lighting: Use timers or smart lighting systems to turn indoor lights on and off at specific times. This creates the illusion that someone is home.
- Mail and Package Management: Arrange for a neighbor to pick up your mail and packages or use the postal service’s hold mail feature to avoid an overflowing mailbox.
- Secure Wi-Fi Network: Ensure your home Wi-Fi network is secure. An unsecured network can be an easy target for hackers to access your smart home devices.
- Remove Spare Keys: If you have spare keys hidden outside, bring them inside or leave them with a trusted neighbor. Burglars can easily find hidden keys.
- Maintenance Services: Schedule regular maintenance services such as lawn care and leaf removal. An unkempt exterior can signal an unoccupied home.
Implementing these measures ensures you can significantly reduce the risk of security breaches and maintain the integrity of your home while enjoying your extended vacation.
Yard and outdoor preparations
Maintaining your yard is important even in your absence. You don’t want to see long grass growing everywhere and weeds destroying your beautiful flowers. But don’t worry! You can surely do some things to make it look good while you are away. For instance, hire a lawn service or ask a neighbor to mow the lawn, water the plants, and generally keep the yard looking lived-in.
Ensure your garage is locked securely and that any security systems are activated to protect your belongings. If you don’t have a garage, you can search for ‘portable storage containers for rent near me‘ and move patio items to storage once packed. Once you do this, you can securely store all outdoor furniture and tools to prevent theft or weather damage.
Final touches before your extended vacation
If you have completed all other steps, it’s time to look around and check your place in case you missed something. Open your refrigerator and discard any perishable items from your refrigerator to avoid unpleasant surprises upon your return. Next, remove all trash to prevent bad odors and potential pest problems. In the end, leave a note or instructions for anyone needing to enter your home in your absence, like pet sitters or plant carers.
Homecoming harmony: Ensuring a peaceful return
As we conclude, securing and storing your Lynnwood home for those long-awaited vacations is not just about locks and alarms; it’s about creating a sanctuary that awaits your return. With each step you take in preparation, you’re ensuring a stress-free break and a seamless homecoming. So, go ahead and explore the world, knowing that your Lynnwood haven is safe and sound, ready to greet you on your return with the same warmth and comfort it always has.